Our core programmes are for 18-30 year olds because we believe that all young adults should be able to acquire the tools to build successful lives.
We teach young adults the skills for success that they do not learn at school. We teach them the tools that successful people have so that they too can have happy, productive and successful lives.
All of our courses have an important practical application to the real world. If it isn’t useful in life, we don’t talk about it and we definitely don’t deliver training on it. We know that young people, in all sections of our communities, are the leaders of our future world and we want those leaders to represent all sections of our communities.
The What If Weekend.
Our next What If Weekend is coming soon.
The What If Weekend is for 18-30 year olds who can get to our venue near Elephant and Castle and can attend the whole weekend. We particularly welcome Care Leavers and young people who might have had a tougher start in life, BUT everyone is welcome: Please email email@example.com for more details.
We have a life changing curriculum that all begins with our two and a half day foundation course, The What If Weekend.
The What If Weekend is a two and a half day long programme that challenges the beliefs individuals have about themselves and the world. It transforms their perspective on what is and what isn’t possible and it provides participants with powerful tools in how to get what they want in life while considering others and building strong communities.
During the What If Weekend participants will have the opportunity to:
- Consider why they react to situation in the way that they do
- Learn from what perspective they view the world
- Understand why they make the decisions they make
- Find out how to get on the pitch in life and how to stay there
- Discover how to surround themselves with the people who will support and inspire them
- Understand how they can interpret situations for the benefit of themselves and others
- Learn that everything they say matters
- Competently set exciting achievable goal
OTHER PROGRAMMES WE RUN
What If We Cared?
What If We Cared? is a programme inspired by Care Leavers to benefit all young people whatever their background.
What If We Cared? trains participants in how to advocate for themselves and others and how to challenge people and situations appropriately. It provides a context in which contribution to others is the foundation from which all of our own success can be accomplished. The community of young people in which this course takes place is a powerful learning context for success in the future.
We achieve these outcomes by delivering training in the following areas:
- How systems in society operate, such as local authorities and their departments and other systems which are publicly funded, social services, housing, education, the police, the NHS, etc.
- Advocacy skills grounded in person-centred advocacy approaches.
What If Evenings
When the What If Weekend has been completed, participants become a graduate of The What If Academy and are fondly referred to as TWIAGs.
TWIAGs can attend our weekly training sessions. After the weekend TWIAGs will have acquired many new powerful life skills and will have begun to establish new friendships. The weekly sessions allow TWIAGs to bring all their questions, upsets, concerns, achievements – everything and anything that they are experiencing in life to the community of What If Academy Graduates. TWIAGs can attend as many or as few of the weekly sessions for as long as they wish. TWIAGs will always be welcome back no matter how long they might have been away. All of the difficult questions in life are welcome here.
What If I Wrote a Book?
The Book Launch for our first What If I Wrote a Book? Programme took place at Inspire who continue to give The What If Academy a home:
Dubem, Reanne, Nadege, Trent and Mwila launched their books. They are available to purchase on Amazon:
What If I Wrote a Book is a 12-week course that What If Academy Graduates can apply after they have completed the What If Weekend.
What If I Wrote a Book? allows young people to discover what they truly love in life and to use that knowledge to create a book that they produce and publish culminating in a group book launch. This programme trains participants to make powerful requests of others and to hold themselves and others accountable for the agreements they make. Participants learn how to respond to let downs, and to broken promises, and explore their own relationship to keeping their commitments. This project must be completed within the allocated time to ensure that each book is available for purchase at the time of the book launch. What If I Wrote a Book? trains participants in authentic creative leadership skills, and these skills are transferable to all areas of their lives.
- Young people will explore for themselves and identify within a group setting what they love and what they are authentically passionate about in life
- Participants will select a topic for their book based on their understanding of what they authentically love
- They will be trained in how to make requests of others to contribute the content of their book
- They will be trained in how to manage their feelings and reactions in relation to the process of creating the book. It will build their confidence, self esteem and leadership skills.
- They will organise a book launch
- They will learn the process of how to self-publish a book
- Once the book is published, this tangible accomplishment will be available as a talking point in job interviews and other social and networking opportunities.